December 13, 2012

Young man attempts suicide over eye problems


 Muraina

This young man Taofeek Muraina never had it good as a child. His adulthood is not even better. This, perhaps, explains why the 40-year-old bricklayer thought it wise to die rather than being put to shame by friends and neighbours.
Twice this year, he has attempted suicide. The first time was about five months ago, while the second one was on December 5.
He attempted had wanted to poison himself when a neighbour arrived
on time and raised the alarm. Muraina has been battling with an acute eye condition since when he was a child. As he grows, his condition worsens, making life unbearable for him.
Explaining reasons for attempting suicide, he said, “Life is unbearable for me. I was born with an eye problem. My wife, Tawa, left me and dumped our 10-year-old son with me. I learnt that she has got married to another man.
“I attempted to commit suicide by poisoning myself while my son and neighbours were not at home but my landlady got home while I was preparing the mixture.
He said, “I am a bricklayer and I mould blocks. People in the neighbourhood always make jest of me. I take native treatment because I cannot afford the cost of surgery.
“I decided to end it all because I could not afford the cost of surgery and no one wishes to help me. With my condition, I still manage to work to feed myself and my son but people hate me.”

No comments: