April 13, 2013

Poverty pushed me into cab driving - Schoolteacher


 Mrs. Temidayo Fagbenle

Rather than starve with her retiree husband and 11-year old son, a teacher, Mrs. Temidayo Fagbenle, took up commercial driving in Ilorin, Kwara State. Success Nwogu reports
For Mrs. Temidayo Fagbenle , a teacher in a secondary school in Ilorin, Kwara State, the saying that necessity is the mother of invention is applicable. The school teacher has to drive Kabukabu that is, an unpainted taxi, to make ends meet.
Recalling how she became a commercial
driver – a task mainly undertaken by illiterate and semi-literate men -she said that it was in her attempt to find a solution to her financial predicament.
According to her, though she receives a monthly salary as a teacher, her family’s needs and that of some members of her relations could not be met by her monthly income.
She said that a day came that she was in so much financial need and could not even meet her own family financial needs that she started thinking of a way out.
According to her, she was so broke that she did not even have N100 in her purse. She thought so much of a way to get funds to meet her immediate need and suddenly realised that her car, which she usually drove to school, could generate additional revenue.
Fagbenle said  she quickly acted on the idea and even before her husband, who is a retiree and her child, a student in a secondary school in Ilorin, could be informed of her new business idea, she had already gone ‘picking’ passengers and made brisk business on the first day. She was able to make enough to meet her immediate needs.
She said, “There was a time I was in need of money. It was such a precarious situation that I did not even have N100 on me. I had some pressing family needs to attend to. I was in a fix on how to solve the burden. I thought of something to do but it wouldn’t work, so I just took this vehicle that day.
“I woke up around 6am. I went to Tanke in Ilorin and started this kabukabu (commuter taxi). Initially, I was afraid that officials of the National Union of Road Transport Workers could harass me since I was not a member then. But I summoned courage. Within one hour, I realised some money. That was early 2011. That day, I went back home before 7am because I did not want people to know what I did.
“I was happy that the money I made that hour solved my immediate needs that day. But I stopped. I was thinking ‘is it God’s will for me to be doing this type of work for my secondary assignment’? I have a child to take care of, though my husband is there. With the situation in Nigeria, the two hands should be rubbing themselves together; husband and wife should be earning an income.”
Fagbenle said she went into full cab business this year, plying the Maraba-UITH route in Ilorin. She said that even the day she went to register with the NURTW, she had only N3,000 which was not enough for the registration. So she begged the official she met and promised to pay up later. Having reached an agreement with the NURTW official, she started and since then had been finding her second job enjoyable.
She expressed gratitude to her passengers including those that had been passing good comments about her, adding that she had never had any problem with any of them.
For her, the male drivers had never been a problem as, according to her, they regard her as fellow driver and even assist her get passengers to board her vehicle.
“In fact, they like what I am doing. When I have difficulty calling passengers, they would even rally round me and then I move on. I thank God. They are really there for me as people that can help someone. I can say that God sent them to me.
“They do not think about male or female but they are there for me at any time,” she said.
The Kogi State-born, who is married to a Kwara indigene, said she had not been having problem with other motorists or traffic officials.

No comments: