January 16, 2013

Fire scare forces customers out of Ikeja shopping mall


 The boutique at the time of the incident

There was panic among shoppers and visitors to Ikeja City Mall on Tuesday as fire gutted Mr. Price, a boutique located within the mall.
Other shops in the mall, such as Shoprite, Bedmates and KFC immediately shut down while shoppers were evacuated from the building.
It was learnt that the fire at Mr. Price was caused by an electrical surge, which later spread throughout the clothing shop.

A witness Doyin Adewale, said, “I was looking at a T-shirt when I heard sound of explosion. Before long, there was smoke everywhere, and we had to rush out.”
A shopper, Eno Harrison, said many people in the mall did not know what was happening at the time until a fire alarm went off.
“I just got to the mall and people started to run helter-skelter. I did not see any smoke and I was really confused because I had no idea what was happening. But a fire alarm went off and we were all told to move out. They said a store was on fire,” she said.
The operation manager of the mall, Mr. Steve Idornigie, said the surge was due to a partial contact from a power point.
He said, “At about 11:15am, the store manager on Mr. Price reported the incident to me and emergency staff responded immediately.
“In terms of damage, no goods were lost neither was anyone injured. However some clothes got wet as a result of the water used in containing the fire.
Hmmm thank God nobody was hurt.

No comments: