Thank you. Thank you. Thank you so
much. Tonight, more than 200 years after a former colony won the right
to determine its own destiny, the task of perfecting our union moves
forward. It moves forward because of you. It moves forward because you
reaffirmed the spirit that has triumphed over war and depression, the
spirit that has lifted this country from the depths of despair to the
great heights of hope, the belief that while each of us will pursue our
own individual dreams, we are an American family and we rise or fall
together as one nation and as one people.
Tonight, in this election, you, the
American people, reminded us that while our road has been hard, while
our journey has been long, we have picked ourselves up, we have fought
our way back, and we know in
our hearts that for the United States of
America the best is yet to come. I want to thank every American who
participated in this election…Whether you voted for the very first time
or waited in line for a very long time.
Whether you pounded the pavement or
picked up the phone…Whether you held an Obama sign or a Romney sign, you
made your voice heard and you made a difference. I just spoke with
Governor Romney and I congratulated him and Paul Ryan on a hard-fought
campaign.
We may have battled fiercely, but it’s
only because we love this country deeply and we care so strongly about
its future. From George to Lenore to their son Mitt, the Romney family
has chosen to give back to America through public service and that is
the legacy that we honor and applaud tonight.
In the weeks ahead, I also look forward
to sitting down with Governor Romney to talk about where we can work
together to move this country forward.
I want to thank my friend and partner of
the last four years, America’s happy warrior, the best vice-president
anybody could ever hope for, Joe Biden. And I wouldn’t be the man I am
today without the woman who agreed to marry me 20 years ago.
Let me say this publicly: Michelle, I
have never loved you more. I have never been prouder to watch the rest
of America fall in love with you, too, as our nation’s first lady.
Sasha and Malia, before our very eyes
you’re going up to become two strong, smart beautiful young women, just
like your mum. And I’m so proud of you guys. But I will say that for now
one dog’s probably enough.
To the best campaign team and volunteers
in the history of politics… The best. The best ever. Some of you were
new this time around, and some of you have been at my side since the
very beginning.
But all of you are family. No matter
what you do or where you go from here, you will carry the memory of the
history we made together and you will have the life-long appreciation of
a grateful president. Thank you for believing all the way, through
every hill, through every valley.
You lifted me up the whole way and I
will always be grateful for everything that you’ve done and all the
incredible work that you put in.
I know that political campaigns can
sometimes seem small, even silly. And that provides plenty of fodder for
the cynics that tell us that politics is nothing more than a contest of
egos or the domain of special interests. But if you ever get the chance
to talk to folks who turned out at our rallies and crowded along a rope
line in a high school gym, or saw folks working late in a campaign
office in some tiny county far away from home, you’ll discover something
else. You’ll hear the determination in the voice of a young field
organiser who’s working his way through college and wants to make sure
every child has that same opportunity.
You’ll hear the pride in the voice of a
volunteer who’s going door to door because her brother was finally hired
when the local auto plant added another shift.
You’ll hear the deep patriotism in the
voice of a military spouse whose working the phones late at night to
make sure that no one who fights for this country ever has to fight for a
job or a roof over their head when they come home.
That’s why we do this. That’s what
politics can be. That’s why elections matter. It’s not small, it’s big.
It’s important. Democracy in a nation of 300 million can be noisy and
messy and complicated. We have our own opinions. Each of us has deeply
held beliefs. And when we go through tough times, when we make big
decisions as a country, it necessarily stirs passions, stirs up
controversy. That won’t change after tonight, and it shouldn’t. These
arguments we have are a mark of our liberty. We can never forget that as
we speak people in distant nations are risking their lives right now
just for a chance to argue about the issues that matter, the chance to
cast their ballots like we did today.
But despite all our differences, most of
us share certain hopes for America’s future. We want our kids to grow
up in a country where they have access to the best schools and the best
teachers.
A country that lives up to its legacy as
the global leader in technology and discovery and innovation, with all
the good jobs and new businesses that follow. We want our children to
live in an America that isn’t burdened by debt, that isn’t weakened by
inequality, that isn’t threatened by the destructive power of a warming
planet.
We want to pass on a country that’s safe
and respected and admired around the world, a nation that is defended
by the strongest military on earth and the best troops this – this world
has ever known.
But also a country that moves with
confidence beyond this time of war, to shape a peace that is built on
the promise of freedom and dignity for every human being. We believe in a
generous America, in a compassionate America, in a tolerant America,
open to the dreams of an immigrant’s daughter who studies in our schools
and pledges to our flag.
To the young boy on the south side of Chicago who sees a life beyond the nearest street corner.
To the furniture worker’s child in North
Carolina who wants to become a doctor or a scientist, an engineer or an
entrepreneur, a diplomat or even a president – that’s the future we
hope for. That’s the vision we share. That’s where we need to go:
forward.
That’s where we need to go. Now, we will
disagree, sometimes fiercely, about how to get there. As it has for
more than two centuries, progress will come in fits and starts. It’s not
always a straight line. It’s not always a smooth path. By itself, the
recognition that we have common hopes and dreams won’t end all the
gridlock or solve all our problems or substitute for the painstaking
work of building consensus and making the difficult compromises needed
to move this country forward. But that common bond is where we must
begin. Our economy is recovering. A decade of war is ending. A long
campaign is now over.
And whether I earned your vote or not, I
have listened to you, I have learned from you, and you’ve made me a
better president. And with your stories and your struggles, I return to
the White House more determined and more inspired than ever about the
work there is to do and the future that lies ahead.
Tonight you voted for action, not
politics as usual. You elected us to focus on your jobs, not ours. And
in the coming weeks and months, I am looking forward to reaching out and
working with leaders of both parties to meet the challenges we can only
solve together: reducing our deficit, reforming our tax code, fixing
our immigration system, freeing ourselves from foreign oil. We’ve got
more work to do.
But that doesn’t mean your work is done.
The role of citizen in our democracy does not end with your vote.
America’s never been about what can be done for us. It’s about what can
be done by us together through the hard and frustrating, but necessary
work of self- government. That’s the principle we were founded on.
This country has more wealth than any
nation, but that’s not what makes us rich. We have the most powerful
military in history, but that’s not what makes us strong. Our
university, our culture are all the envy of the world, but that’s not
what keeps the world coming to our shores. What makes America
exceptional are the bonds that hold together the most diverse nation on
earth. The belief that our destiny is shared, that this country only
works when we accept certain obligations to one another and to future
generations. The freedom which so many Americans have fought for and
died for come with responsibilities as well as rights. And among those
are love and charity and duty and patriotism. That’s what makes America
great.
I am hopeful tonight because I’ve seen
the spirit at work in America. I’ve seen it in the family business whose
owners would rather cut their own pay than lay off their neighbors, and
in the workers who would rather cut back their hours than see a friend
lose a job. I’ve seen it in the soldiers who reenlist after losing a
limb and in those SEALs who charged up the stairs into darkness and
danger because they knew there was a buddy behind them watching their
back.
I’ve seen it on the shores of New Jersey
and New York, where leaders from every party and level of government
have swept aside their differences to help a community rebuild from the
wreckage of a terrible storm.
And I saw just the other day, in Mentor,
Ohio, where a father told the story of his eight-year-old daughter,
whose long battle with leukemia nearly cost their family everything had
it not been for health care reform passing just a few months before the
insurance company was about to stop paying for her care.
I had an opportunity to not just talk to
the father, but meet this incredible daughter of his. And when he spoke
to the crowd listening to that father’s story, every parent in that
room had tears in their eyes, because we knew that little girl could be
our own. And I know that every American wants her future to be just as
bright. That’s who we are. That’s the country I’m so proud to lead as
your president.
And tonight, despite all the hardship
we’ve been through, despite all the frustrations of Washington, I’ve
never been more hopeful about our future.
I have never been more hopeful about
America. And I ask you to sustain that hope. I’m not talking about blind
optimism, the kind of hope that just ignores the enormity of the tasks
ahead or the roadblocks that stand in our path. I’m not talking about
the wishful idealism that allows us to just sit on the sidelines or
shirk from a fight. I have always believed that hope is that stubborn
thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary,
that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep
reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting.
America, I believe we can build on the
progress we’ve made and continue to fight for new jobs and new
opportunity and new security for the middle class. I believe we can keep
the promise of our founders, the idea that if you’re willing to work
hard, it doesn’t matter who you are or where you come from or what you
look like or where you love. It doesn’t matter whether you’re black or
white or Hispanic or Asian or Native American or young or old or rich or
poor, able, disabled, gay or straight, you can make it here in America
if you’re willing to try.
I believe we can seize this future
together because we are not as divided as our politics suggests. We’re
not as cynical as the pundits believe. We are greater than the sum of
our individual ambitions, and we remain more than a collection of red
states and blue states. We are and forever will be the United States of
America.
And together with your help and God’s
grace we will continue our journey forward and remind the world just why
it is that we live in the greatest nation on earth. Thank you, America.
God bless you. God bless theseCulled from Reuters
No comments:
Post a Comment