According to latest reports, sperm has become one of the hottest
commodities being sold in Ghana. The target market for this new booming
venture are couples suffering from male infertility, lesbian couples,
and single women who pay huge amounts of money to access it.
“Selling of sperm is gradually becoming the new business frontier
booming in Ghana because it has many uses in today’s society: making
babies, sperm banks, and putting volume in limp hair in order to make it
long,” a medical student at the University of Ghana Medical School, who
sold sperm five times to a Fertility Center in Accra for GH¢10, 000
($5,280), told Economic Tribune (ET).
The medical student, who gave his name only as Mensah, said even
though selling of sperm was a risky business, it was also rewarding as
well.
“I use the proceeds from this business to pay my fees and also
support my close pals. Who knows how long I will continue? But whatever
happens, I know I can look back on many happy families that I have
helped to create,” he stated.
Mrs Naomi Suame, a shop owner at East Legon and many parts of Accra,
has been married for 15 years and has two children, none of whom
biologically belongs to her husband.
“I discovered my husband was infertile when we got married after two
years. But I wanted to experience motherhood. I decided to have
artificial insemination. I have never cheated on him. I just got sperm
from a willing seller and got two healthy babies. Is that not
wonderful?” she asked.
In the case of Naomi, she got a young man from the University of Cape
Coast, paid him GH¢12,000 ($6,322) and took his sperm, which she used
twice to get the babies. “Sperm is one of the scared commodities for
many of us. There is a high demand for it and many young men are going
into this venture selling their sperm to help others, who needs it for
one reason or the other,” Naomi explained.
Investigations conducted by ET revealed that due to the huge capital
outlay of the process, women have now devised a way of beating the
system by getting donors (spermsellers) whom they take to the Fertility
Centres for harvesting at a cheaper cost and then having the sperm
induced in their uterus’s
No comments:
Post a Comment